This conference session considered the efforts of developing countries to promote the acquisition and use of skills and knowledge, and the ways in which migration of skilled people impacts on development strategies.
Conference materials –
Audio clips (to be added later)
- ‘Migration, Skills and Development’, Ron Skeldon (University of Sussex)
- ‘Migration and Skills: The Bangladesh Story’, M. Omar Rahman (Independent University, Bangladesh)
- ‘Pulling them out of poverty or pushing them abroad for business? Exodus of nurses from India’, Binod Khadria (Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi)
Migration DRC research – view a two-page overview of the Migration DRC’s research findings on skilled migration.
Further reading – working papers published by the Migration DRC related to skilled migration are listed below.
- “Highly Skilled Migration from Albania: An Assessment of Current Trends and the Ways Ahead”. Etleva Germenji and Ilir Gedeshi. (Jan 2008; WP-T25).
- “Globalization, Skilled Migration and Poverty Alleviation: Brain Drains in Context”. Ron Skeldon (Nov 2005; WP-T15).